Skip to main content

Featured

The Real Reason Black Women Are Belittled In Dance

When I think about Katherine Dunham I am reminded of her stage presence and vibrancy. When I think about Janet Collins I am reminded of her beauty and how the world of dance enthusiasts of the times had a love, hate relationship with her artistic brilliance because she was black. When I think of Raven Wilkinson I am reminded of her defiance against the rigid segregation and racism of that time. Although each of these women's careers included trailblazer feats in one way or another, as stories were passed down, we learned of their legacies to include being ostracized and their audacity to overcome. That audacity had everything to do with loving the craft of dance and being committed beyond their race. Have you ever thought about it? With all of the racial shadows, the life of these women continues to  transcend decades. Not only that, each of these women rose above to inspire us . If the dedication to their dance careers made them legends, why are black women as a whole today, con

Italian Beauty, Dancing Museum: Chatting With Daniela Malusardi

 As I scrolled through Pinterest for wildly inspiring dance photographs, I had to be picky. I know its only Pinterest but I take things that are to impact my movement, knowledge and overall dance career extremely seriously (too much? lol. Oh well). 

As I shared a few weeks ago in a previous article, we know, per Aesha Ashe's quote that one image can hold great impact. For the second time ever I found myself in a space of "dance fixation" when a certain image popped during my Pinterest exploration. The last time I experienced a dancer's photo stopping me in my tracks I was in the sixth grade admiring the famous Linda Celeste Sims tilt shot. I stood amazed, inquisitive and inspired all at once. You're probably thinking "Wow! that must have been some photo". It was this one. After rapid "rabbit-hole" scrolling and frantic research I found the dancer to be Italian choreographer, teacher and dancer,  Daniela Malusardi.


Who is she? What has she done? Why don't I know her and where is she located? These are the series of questions that flooded my thoughts. Well, I could not not find out... something. Initially with some quick research the first thing I learned is that she had danced with Cullberg Ballet in Stockholm, Sweden. Rushing over to find the company's instagram I reached out for help. 

After a few days, the woman I now know as Daniela came back into my thoughts and this time I would not ignore it. After some digging I caught up with Ms. Malusardi and I could not believe it! Huge huge thank you to her friend for connecting us. Daniela Malusardi surprised me as she recollected valuable memories and hi lighted for me the essence of her being a dancer and knowing it basically all of her life. While I fully expected her story to be a chest of gems, I was not at all prepared for the reality of such a rich and eclectic resume. 

After her training through full scholarship at the Wimbledon School in London, Malusardi became a dancer with Teatrodanza Contemporanea di Roma. In 1974 she joined the second company of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre after being noticed at a dance festival by members of the company while in Italy. Pieces such as Wade In The Water and Fix Me Jesus were danced by Malusardi although she was not asked to join the main company. I have to admit, that was very interesting to me. During our conversation I asked her a few questions and she described her acceptance into the second company as her "face off with Alvin". Auhh! I love dance history. How could you not?

Ms. Malusardi had a very robust dance career. One of my favorite moments was learning that she was personally chosen by Rudolf Nureyev to be his "Eve" in the ballet Adam and Eve. When he watched her dance the role at Teatro Olimpico, given her by choreographer Birgit Cullberg, he was totally impressed.


I count it as a great and large blessing to be in position to learn from a dancer of Ms. Malusardi's caliber and renown. I am going to hop into the Q&A we shared but you can learn more about her right here .

When I asked Daniela what should dance artists value as they become the best they could be she responded with dance greats and what their work and interactions taught her. She also expounded on the way they evolved her. My favorite response to the question involved the reflection of her work with William Forsythe.

William Forsythe maybe was the farthest away, from me, maybe, from a point of view of attitude to life...was magnificent to meet him and work with him, what I got from him  was the technique of creation, I learned from him the invention, I learned being free and almost reckless so that I could proceed towards the choreography myself. Sooooo difficult  to explain I hope I made myself clear !!!

I enjoyed that response so much because it gave me visible and mental understanding of my own dancing. I will leave you with the Ms. Malusardi's responses to the very first questions I asked her. As you read them I'd like you to imagine where you are in dance right now. What do you want to contribute to the time capsule of dance greatness and what will your legacy be? Studying careers like Daniela's always fans into greater flames my love, passion and mission for dance.


Me: "How has dance changed you as a person?... How does maturing in dance affect your                 dancing?

Daniela: "Oh my god Trinity what questions ha ha ha !!!

I will try !!!!
First of all I started when I was three years old so …. Nothing to change I was always and only a dancer never anything else 

Obviously one’s experiences in life change your dancing. As an example the extreme selfishnesses and narcissistic attitude evolved towards a more generous and all encompassing relationship towards the others, the world, the people, the environment  making my dancing I suppose more interesting more human more a form of connection rather  than a self expression, all about me  ( clear ? )"

 To the dancer, dance teacher, choreographer, dance curator reading this, I hope you find your love for dance so valuable that you search for a new found love and mission within your career. I hope that your hope is revived no matter where you are in your dancing life and that this article inspired you. While everyone might not be dance history buffs, I encourage you to dive deep into the craft you love. In the words of Sylvie Guillem, respect it. 




Comments

Popular Posts