Skip to main content

Featured

The Real Reason Black Women Are Belittled In Dance

When I think about Katherine Dunham I am reminded of her stage presence and vibrancy. When I think about Janet Collins I am reminded of her beauty and how the world of dance enthusiasts of the times had a love, hate relationship with her artistic brilliance because she was black. When I think of Raven Wilkinson I am reminded of her defiance against the rigid segregation and racism of that time. Although each of these women's careers included trailblazer feats in one way or another, as stories were passed down, we learned of their legacies to include being ostracized and their audacity to overcome. That audacity had everything to do with loving the craft of dance and being committed beyond their race. Have you ever thought about it? With all of the racial shadows, the life of these women continues to  transcend decades. Not only that, each of these women rose above to inspire us . If the dedication to their dance careers made them legends, why are black women as a whole today, con

The Fast Track Of The Future Of Dance

 Last October during an interview I was asked if I felt that I had to work harder than other dancers because I’m black. Although this portion wasn’t included in the article my answer was a resounding “No!”. My explanation was simple, I work and love dance just as much as the next person. There is no need for me to work harder.

I don’t dance to outwork my skin tone. Neither do I dance to prove myself to anyone. In 2024 I hope this can be the mentality of every professional dance artist. It is about time we restore dance back to its regality and wonder. You know, the things that made us marvel at the throwback stories and the legends that previous decades built? We’ve gotta get back. I have said it before but none of those people (name your favorite dancers from back then) made history without tenacity, audacity and respect for the work of dance. 

December has certainly proven to be a reflective dance month for me. From being a guest artist with Ballethnic Dance Company (Urban Nutcracker), watching tons of photos and content roll in from dance companies all over the world (more of nutcracker), watching dance-lovers everywhere celebrate the triumphant performance of The Dancers of Syracuse and witnessing the Dew Drop downpour of New York City Ballet’s India Bradley and Dance Theatre of Harlem’s Alexandra Hutchinson, I have been sitting in a pool of thought-provoking questions. It is also bliss because I know change is on the wind.

I have been speaking about the woes, happenings and gems within the industry of dance for a while now. With so much changing, and rather quickly, I am looking forward to what is to come. With so much to be accomplished who has the time to worry about stereotypes or to people please? 

My stance will always be, as Joan Myers Brown put it [my] audacious hope. I hope my mindset and informative inspiration can positively impact the world of dance as it morphs beyond the last 4 years with gentle nods to the ones we have learned and love. 


Comments

Popular Posts