Skip to main content

Featured

The Real Reason Black Women Are Belittled In Dance

When I think about Katherine Dunham I am reminded of her stage presence and vibrancy. When I think about Janet Collins I am reminded of her beauty and how the world of dance enthusiasts of the times had a love, hate relationship with her artistic brilliance because she was black. When I think of Raven Wilkinson I am reminded of her defiance against the rigid segregation and racism of that time. Although each of these women's careers included trailblazer feats in one way or another, as stories were passed down, we learned of their legacies to include being ostracized and their audacity to overcome. That audacity had everything to do with loving the craft of dance and being committed beyond their race. Have you ever thought about it? With all of the racial shadows, the life of these women continues to  transcend decades. Not only that, each of these women rose above to inspire us . If the dedication to their dance careers made them legends, why are black women as a whole today, con

The Push To Prevail: How To Stay Locked In For The Stage

*originally written 12/08/23


It has been five years since I last performed in Ballethnic Dance Company's rendition of the Petipa, Tchaikovsky classic mashup. Urban Nutcracker was my first professional dance company work. I was pretty fresh out of college and had been feeling extremely grateful to be cast as the Arabian Princess. Along with that, I enjoyed the rare privilege of being coached by Dance Theatre of Harlem's first ballerina, Lydia Abarca-Mitchell. It was a time of basking, growing and challenges.

What I actually want to talk about is what this year's Urban Nutcracker has taught me. As I often emphasize, the profession of dance is a vulnerable one. While it can be enjoyable and freeing, there is also an element that cannot be ignored. It is perhaps the single most constant revelation an artist can have when it comes to their dance career. You will always have to challenge yourself to show up above circumstance that are beyond your control and those that come with the territory. As the artist, you are the only person in charge of how you show up!

Last night we opened the show and of course some weird "stage things" happened. Regardless of my costume preparation, it did not feel secure and despite never having a run-in collision, that also happened on stage. During those moments I recall the various quotes I have heard during my times at Ballethnic. A mixture of "That's show business", "You've got to push", "Be ready to work", and some other things.  Regardless of what happened during act one, I did not sweat it. That can take you down a crazy spiral, you know? Instead, I embraced the beauty of "opening night possibilities" and continued to be calm and enjoy the work. As I prepared for act two I made the decision not to withdraw because my parts were smaller or because we were nearing the show's end. I tapped in and showed up as if the curtain was going up for the very first time and I was awaiting the arrival of Carlos Acosta. Man! It felt amazing. Do you know how intentional you have to be to go hard during the finale, right before bows? It made me remember something.

One day William Starrett encouraged me and the company to enjoy our time on the stage. When Mariclare Miranda was retiring from being a principal ballerina, the one thing she said was "I wish I would've enjoyed it". That also echos the words of Ballethnic co-founder Nena Gilreath. After the show she told the cast to enjoy the run and to have fun!. We were also encouraged to add our artistry because guess what, once you're off of the stage, the moments are gone. I appreciate the way dance builds me as a woman and pushes my bravery. 

The more you show up for dance, the more it will show up in you!




Comments

Popular Posts