Skip to main content

Featured

The Real Reason Black Women Are Belittled In Dance

When I think about Katherine Dunham I am reminded of her stage presence and vibrancy. When I think about Janet Collins I am reminded of her beauty and how the world of dance enthusiasts of the times had a love, hate relationship with her artistic brilliance because she was black. When I think of Raven Wilkinson I am reminded of her defiance against the rigid segregation and racism of that time. Although each of these women's careers included trailblazer feats in one way or another, as stories were passed down, we learned of their legacies to include being ostracized and their audacity to overcome. That audacity had everything to do with loving the craft of dance and being committed beyond their race. Have you ever thought about it? With all of the racial shadows, the life of these women continues to  transcend decades. Not only that, each of these women rose above to inspire us . If the dedication to their dance careers made them legends, why are black women as a whole today, con

The Top 2 Most Inspiring Dance Moments of 2023

 Here we are!! We have made it to the final Artist Impression article of 2023. This year has been a whirlwind of many different things on the landscape of professional dance. From the passing of one of my favorite legends, onstage newness and fresh faces of leadership, the dance world was laced with both shocking and surprising events.

So here it is! I thought I’d unpack my top two most inspiring dance moments of 2023! In no particular order, let’s get into it.

These two moments have inspired or informed my stance as a professional artist in some way. Up first onstage in my top 2 most inspiring dance moments of 2023 was Robert Garland becoming Virginia Johnson’s successor as the Artistic Director of The Dance Theatre of Harlem. Although announced in 2022, Garland officially took his place in July of 2023. 

I must say, when I read the new I was super ecstatic for Mr. Garland (I can’t help but to acknowledge him as such because I spent time at DTH’s Summer Intensive). The reason I chose this moment is because I found it such an honor, for Mr. Garland of course, to be stepping into this prominent role. Let’s look at the lineage of DTH leadership really quickly. We had the legendary Arthur Mitchell, the legendary Virginia Johnson and now, Robert Garland? What a responsibility! What an honor!

I spent a little time snickering, singing, dancing new choreographic ideas and learning from Mr. Garland one Summer at DTH. I think he’s going to do a wonderful job and great work in this new position. I’ve already been enjoying seeing him in a lot of photos across social media. I can’t wait to see what his new, full season will bring!

Next up to the stage are The Dancers of Syracuse. That’s how we met them but they are the Central NewYork Ballet. I first got wind of their story from former prima ballerina, Gavin Larsen. I chose this as my second inspirational dance moment of 2023 because I found the decision of the dancers to be one of courage and necessity. I also connected with the dancers because, as I shared with them, last season I had to make the tough decision of resigning from my ballet company largely in part because of horrible dancing conditions and dancer care.

From watching their story hit major news outlets, to witnessing the excitement of dance lovers rooting them on as they raised funds to receive a matching offer, I too was rooting from them. In order for leaders of the new that is happening in dance, to arise and arrive, there has to be a level of grit, audacity and follow through. New heights won’t be reached doing the same things that don't get results. Kudos to them! Did I mention they were a part of the global dance convergence? That’s how I see Nutcracker Season! While companies all over the world were on stage, so were they. What a thrill! How boss! How inspiring!

If you’re like me you are certainly looking forward to what 2024 will offer the world of dance. But if you’re like Robert Garland or The Dancers of Syracuse, whatever it brings, you’ll be ready to rule! 


Loooove you guys. 

Until next time,

Happy Dancing

Comments

Popular Posts