Skip to main content

Featured

The Real Reason Black Women Are Belittled In Dance

When I think about Katherine Dunham I am reminded of her stage presence and vibrancy. When I think about Janet Collins I am reminded of her beauty and how the world of dance enthusiasts of the times had a love, hate relationship with her artistic brilliance because she was black. When I think of Raven Wilkinson I am reminded of her defiance against the rigid segregation and racism of that time. Although each of these women's careers included trailblazer feats in one way or another, as stories were passed down, we learned of their legacies to include being ostracized and their audacity to overcome. That audacity had everything to do with loving the craft of dance and being committed beyond their race. Have you ever thought about it? With all of the racial shadows, the life of these women continues to  transcend decades. Not only that, each of these women rose above to inspire us . If the dedication to their dance careers made them legends, why are black women as a whole today, con

What Dancing Post Pandemic Has Taught Me

 I am writing this article on March 7, 2024. By the time it is published it will be March 8, 2024. The original article to this spinoff article was originally published March 11, 2021. Something special is happening here. I will even go so far as to say that something special is happening here, within the act and profession of dance.

Did you know that before we can proceed with new ability, revelation or power to transform, there must first be a deconstruction. Newness, if it is to carry longevity and have great effects, must be built on clear grounds. A clear place must be made available. That process can look messy! I don't know about you but what I experienced dancing throughout the heart of the pandemic often times looked messy. Between rehearing, taking classes and witnessing social media movements, I began to feel dance taking a plunge into oblivion. This "mood" came from the uprising of innovation and ideals that have proven to be meaningless within the context of professional dance.

In retrospect, dancing through the pandemic taught me to stand for legacy and to only embrace evolution if it truthfully serves the work. Here we are almost three full year later and I have clarified perspectives. So what has dancing post pandemic taught me? Let's get into it.

One of the greatest lessons I've learned is losing or relinquishing a strong foundation for anything will never be worth it in this field. That is what a great legacy is all about. That is what great work is all about. Whether it’s a company as timeless at Martha Graham’s or a legacy as rooted as the dancers of the 90s, when we allow needed foundations to crumble or become altered it’s so easy to lose our way. Between racial tensions, civil liberties being tested and the steps— oh! So many steps, there were plenty of opportunities for me not to stand on the solid foundation dance leaders before me havev set. As I take a moment to think back I am so glad I never used either one of those inconveniences as my opportunity to slack off.

Dancing post pandemic has further taught me that every tough decision I was forced to make during the time of tests, masks, racially distasteful comments and unfair treatment, was totally worth it. Each moment gave me the level of courage I have today. Studio or stage— It doesn’t matter. Because of what I experienced then, I can dance, teach, write, advocate a little louder.

What has dancing post pandemic taught you? 

Comments

Popular Posts