Skip to main content

Featured

The Real Reason Black Women Are Belittled In Dance

When I think about Katherine Dunham I am reminded of her stage presence and vibrancy. When I think about Janet Collins I am reminded of her beauty and how the world of dance enthusiasts of the times had a love, hate relationship with her artistic brilliance because she was black. When I think of Raven Wilkinson I am reminded of her defiance against the rigid segregation and racism of that time. Although each of these women's careers included trailblazer feats in one way or another, as stories were passed down, we learned of their legacies to include being ostracized and their audacity to overcome. That audacity had everything to do with loving the craft of dance and being committed beyond their race. Have you ever thought about it? With all of the racial shadows, the life of these women continues to  transcend decades. Not only that, each of these women rose above to inspire us . If the dedication to their dance careers made them legends, why are black women as a whole today, con

If There Is One Thing Your Career Needs, This Is It

 The other day I went live on Instagram to express to preprofessional dancers, and even some professionals who desire a strong voice in their corner, how incredibly powerful dance career mentorship is. Now I know that because I run The Dance Career Coach and my goal is to help build, strong, pliable and professional artists,  my advocacy of dance mentorship seems obvious. But it wasn’t until today I  stepped into a greater dimension of this passion. That includes helping dancers like you. So why is career mentorship so important? What is it that makes the connection so powerful? Do you need it?

Fall 2023 I heard God tell me “Help (name of a mentee of mine) post-grad dreams come true”. During that time I had already begun creating and sharing content for The Dance Career Coach and actively building resources for my growing community. But if I am being honest, when I heard God say that, it kicked me into “overdrive”. If you haven’t already gathered, I am extremely passionate about my career, your career and dance in general. How could I become even more passionate with helping one specific person? I’ll tell you how.

The right dance career mentor has the ability to open your eyes to things you may not have seen, connect you in ways you had only dreamed and give you timeless strategies to help you thrive in any space. When searching for a dance mentor it is imperative they have a heart to see you win and be willing to walk the journey with you. Even as I think about one of my mentors it’s easy for me to say he has always been in my corner. The reason I was able to invest in a deep way with one of my mentees is because I am committed to the success of developing artists. That exchange can never change.

Having great insight is also another way I am able to help dancers produce. It’s important to note your dance mentors should be insightful. Mere advice can come from anyone but  not all advice fits your journey. The reason I chose to circle this article around one specific mentee is because our process not only helped her achieve an unforgettable milestone, it helped me realize how great my love is for this craft and the large role I will play in cultivating artists as I work alongside my own mentors, cultivating myself. 

This dance life chose me. What a complete honor!

Comments

Popular Posts